Picking out the best mother-son wedding dance songs from the millions of songs on iTunes or Spotify can be a bit overwhelming.
We are here to help you find the best song for you and your mom.
We talked to over 100 couples and DJs and asked them for their favorite mother-son wedding songs for 2021.
In this article we will cover the following:
- What is a good song for the mother and son dance at a wedding?
- What is a good country song for a mother-son dance at a wedding reception?
- Unique mother-son wedding dance songs?
- Classic rock mother-son wedding dance songs?
- What is a good upbeat mother-son wedding dance song (non-sappy)?
- Funny songs to dance with your mom to.
- What are some good stepmother-son wedding dance songs?
- How to get the best photos of the mother-son dance.
- More wedding planning resources.
- Fun mother-son wedding dance videos.
What is a good song for the mother and son dance at a wedding?
When picking out your mother-son wedding dance music, it’s a good idea to choose a song that fits your personality, and also reflects the relationship that you have with your mom.
There are no set rules when it comes to music for your wedding reception (or any other part of your wedding for that matter). Pick a song that you and your mom want.
You can click on the link to any song title to open the video (with lyrics) in YouTube.
- “The Perfect Fan” – The Backstreet Boys
- “You’ll Be In My Heart” – Phil Collins
- “Days Like This” – Van Morrison
- “Do I Make You Proud” – Taylor Hicks
- “A Song For Mama” – Boyz II Men
- “Because You Loved Me” – Celine Dion
- “Unforgettable” – Natalie Cole (duet with Nat King Cole)
- “What A Wonderful World” – Louis Armstrong
- “God Only Knows” – The Beach Boys
- “I Hope You Dance” – Lee Ann Womack
- “Stand By Me” – Ben E. King
- “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” – Israel “IZ” Kamakawiwo’ole (this is such a great choice)
- “93 Million Miles” – Jason Mraz
- “In My Life” – The Beatles
- “How Long Will I Love You” – Ellie Goulding
- “Forever Young” – Rod Stewart
- “You Are The Sunshine Of My Life” – Stevie Wonder
- “You Raise Me Up” – Josh Groban
What is a good country song for a mother-son dance at a wedding reception?
- “Just to See You Smile” – Tim McGraw
- “Home” – Phillip Phillip
- “Mother Like Mine” – The Band Perry
- “The Best Day” – Taylor Swift
- “Mother” – Sugarland
- “Then They Do” – Trace Adkins (country music always has great options for the parent dances)
- “Landslide” – The Chicks
- “Mom” – Garth Brooks
- “Like My Mother Does” – Lauren Alaina
- “Handprints On The Wall” – Kenny Rogers
- “Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)” – The Chicks
- “My Wish” – Rascal Flatts
- “That’s What Mamas Do” – Jason Matthews
- “You’re Gonna Be (Always Loved By Me)” – Reba McEntire
- “Like Jesus Does” – Eric Church
- “Don’t Blink” – Kenny Chesney
- “Never Alone” – Lady Antebellum
- “Teach Your Children” – Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
- “There You’ll Be” by Faith Hill
- “I Called Mama” – Tim McGraw
- “Angels” – Randy Travis
- “Thanks Again” – Ricky Skaggs
- “He Gets That From Me” – Reba McEntire (This is a beautiful song that touches on the relationship between a mother and son who have lost their father/husband.)
For even more country songs, check out our ultimate list of country wedding dance songs (over 400 songs for every part of your big day!)
What are some unique songs for the mother-son dance?
- “Sweetest Devotion” – Adele
- “Child Of Mine” – Carole King
- “The First Lady In My Life” – Paul Todd
- “House Of Gold” – Twenty One Pilots
- “Wildflowers” – Tom Petty
Classic Rock Songs:
- “Sweet Child O’ Mine” – Guns N’ Roses (If you love songs like this from the eighties, we put together an article of over 300 songs from the 80s for your wedding day)
- “Simple Man” – Lynyrd Skynyrd (You will most likely want to have your DJ trim this song for you, as this songs clocks in at 5 minutes and 50 seconds.)
- “Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)” – John Lennon
- “Just The Way you Are” – Billy Joel (If you like songs like this from the 70s, we have put together an entire article that goes over the best 70s songs to use at your wedding or dance party)
- “Landslide” – Fleetwood Mac
What is a good upbeat mother-son dance song?
- “Mom” – Meghan Trainor
- “Sweet Child O’ Mine” – Sheryl Crow
- “I’ll Always Love My Mama” – The Intruders
- “Thank You Mom” – Good Charlotte
- “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)” – James Taylor
- “We Are Family” – Sister Sledge
- “Count On Me” – Bruno Mars
- “Loves Me Like A Rock” – Paul Simon
Are there any funny mother-son wedding songs?
A Biologist’s Mother’s Day Song – Cadamole
If you and your mom have a fun sense of humor, this might be the perfect song for you 🙂 You can get the MP3 for your DJ from the link in this video.
- “Your Mama Don’t Dance” – Loggins & Messina
- “Your Mama Don’t Dance” – Poison (If you love 90s songs like this, we put together an entire article of the best 90s songs for your weddig or dance party)
- “Mama Tried” – Merle Haggard
- “Take Your Mama” – Scissor Sisters
Mother Son Dance FAQ
Who picks the mother-son dance song?
The song for the mother and son dance is typically picked out by the groom or the groom’s mom.
Ask your mom if there is a special song that she would like to dance to. You can even send her the link to this article to help her with making a decision.
If you are completely overwhelmed by the process of choosing a good song, you can ask your DJ to narrow it down for you (or they can even make the decision for you).
What song should I choose if I am dancing with my stepmom?
If you have a close relationship with your stepmom, any of the songs from this list will work.
If you are doing a dance with both your mom and your stepmom, just try to pick a song that reflects your unique relationship with each of those special people in your life.
What does the mother son dance symbolize?
Dancing with your mom on the wedding day is a special moment that you don’t want to skip.
This special dance is a great way to honor the special bond between a son and his mother.
You and your mom will cherish the photos forever (I speak from experience).
A couple of tips for getting the best photos of the mother-son dance:
- Some grooms (and mothers) cringe at the thought of being the center of attention, so they tell the DJ to cut the song after 30-60 seconds. We recommend having your song play for a minimum of 90 seconds. This gives your photographer plenty of time to get some awesome candid photos of the groom and his mom. If candid photos are important to you, we recommend having your song play for 2-3 minutes (that is the ideal range).
- We recommend doing the mother-son dance separately from the father-daughter dance. Some couples think that doing them together is a way to save time, but all it does is make it hard on your photographer. Do these dances back-to-back, but keep them separate to increase the number of candid photos from your wedding photographer.
Note: The mother and son dance is definitely one of the photos you should add to your wedding photography shot list (check that article for a ton of amazing photo ideas).
Here are some additional wedding planning tips and resources:
- Make sure to follow us on Pinterest for daily wedding planning tips and loads of amazing wedding photo inspiration.
- 109 amazing songs to use for your wedding processional.
- The best songs for your first dance.
- The most important questions to ask a wedding DJ when hiring.
- After polling over 350 wedding DJs and couples/guests, we have put together a list of the 197 best wedding reception dance songs.
- Make sure to check out our best father-daughter wedding dance songs.
- Best songs to use if you are doing a combined parents dance (mother-son & father-daughter dance at the same time)
- The best songs for a parents entrance at your wedding reception. Plus the best songs to use for the wedding party (bridal party and bride/groom) entrance.
- The best Elvis Presley wedding songs. And 19 Michael Bublé wedding songs. And we can’t forget these amazing Frank Sinatra wedding songs. Oh, and the best wedding songs by The Beatles!
- Heavy metal and hard rock songs to use at your wedding.
- Best songs to use for a brother and sister dance at the wedding reception.
- Perfect songs for the cake cutting.
- Take a look at our wedding planning timeline and checklist.
- Follow us on Instagram and Facebook for lots of photo inspiration and wedding planning tips.
- We update our blog at least once per week with new wedding planning resources. Check back often!
- If you are a mother of the groom, what great song are you hoping to use when you and your son hit the dance floor?