Some couples choose to do the father-daughter & mother-son dance at the same time, using the same song at their wedding reception.
By doing a combined parents dance, it allows you to share the dance floor as a group. This is a good option for couples and parents who do not like to be the center of attention.
What Is A Good Song For A Combined Parent Dance At A Wedding?
The key to choosing a great song for a joint parent dance (father-daughter/mother-son) is to pick a song that does not mention daughters or sons specifically.
You also want to try and stay away from love songs that are obviously talking about two people who are romantically involved.
Here are our favorite combined parent wedding dance songs:
- “My Wish” – Rascal Flatts
- “The Way You Look Tonight” – Frank Sinatra
- “How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You” – James Taylor
- “Sweet Child O’ Mine” – Sheryl Crow
- “Landslide” – The Chicks
- “You’ve Got A Friend In Me” – Randy Newman
- “Wonderful Tonight” – Eric Clapton
- “Just the Two of Us” – Grover Washington Jr.
- “Through The Years” – Kenny Rogers
- “Have I Told You Lately” – Van Morrison
- “Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What A Wonderful World” – Israel Kamikawiwo’ole
- “Save the Last Dance For Me” – Drifters
- “All You Need Is Love” – The Beatles
- “Do I Make You Proud” – Taylor Hicks
- “Save the Last Dance For Me” – Michael Bublé
- “You Are The Sunshine of My Life” – Stevie Wonder
- “Can You Feel The Love Tonight” – Elton John
- “Bridge Over Troubled Waters” – Simon & Garfunkel
- “Sweet Child O’ Mine” – Guns ‘n’ Roses
- “Time After Time” – Cyndi Lauper
- “Forever Young” – Rod Stewart
- “Unforgettable” – Natalie Cole with Nat King Cole
- “I Hope You Dance” – LeeAnn Womack
- “Smile” – Barbara Streisand
- “You Raise Me Up” – Josh Groban
- “I Turn To You” – Christina Aguilera
- “Then They Do” – Trace Adkins
- “Landslide” – Fleetwood Mac
- “Because You Loved Me” – Céline Dion
- “What a Wonderful World” – Louis Armstrong
- “Hero” – Mariah Carey
- “Wind Beneath My Wings” – Bette Midler
- “Baby Mine” – Arcade Fire
- “Baby Mine” – Alison Krauss
- “You’ll Be In My Heart” – Phil Collins
- “Parents Just Don’t Understand” – DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince (a funny parents song for those with a sense of humor)
A few tips on doing a combined (joint) parent dance at your wedding:
- Make sure you choose a song that is at least 3-4 minutes long (and don’t have your DJ cut it short) – The reason for this is because your wedding photographer and videographer will need the time to get some really nice photos and video of everyone on the dance floor. You want to give them enough time to get the footage and photos that you need. Trust us, you will really appreciate these photos later on in life.
- You can extend the dance by inviting other family members to the floor – Have your DJ play 2 full songs. During the first song, it will be the father-daughter & mother-son. Then for the 2nd song, the DJ can announce all parents and siblings (even grandparents) to the dance floor. Each person dances with their significant other. This can make for some amazing moments and photos.
More Wedding Songs and Music For Your Ceremony & Reception
- 197 best wedding reception songs for your big celebration.
- 57 best songs for the parents entrance at a wedding reception.
- 45 of the best father daughter wedding dance songs.
- 77 amazing mother son wedding dance songs.
- Follow PA Unveiled on Instagram for lots of funny wedding memes, planning tips and beautiful photo inspiration.