The wedding shoe game (also called the newlywed game) is a quick and fun wedding reception activity to play while your guests are finishing dinner.
It will make your family and friends laugh and give your photographer a chance to capture some awesome candids of your wedding reception.
We have put together over 150 wedding shoe game questions to ask when playing the shoe game, instructions on how to play, and much more.
Here are a few shoe game ideas that we cover in this article:
- Funny shoe game questions
- Family-friendly shoe game and newlywed game questions
- How to play the shoe game
- Real couples give their opinion and advice on playing the wedding shoe game or the newlywed game.
- Shoe game faq (answers to many of the most common questions about the shoe game)
Funny Wedding Shoe Game Questions
When playing the shoe game (or newlywed game) at your wedding reception, we recommend picking mostly funny questions to ask the newly married couple. The point of this game is to make your guests laugh.
Here are some of our favorites:
- Who is most likely to look at memes on their phone while in the bathroom?
- Who kills the spiders in the house?
- Who shares the most memes?
- Who is most likely to have a hangover the day after the wedding?
- Who is most likely to lose their keys or wallet/purse?
- Who is most likely to get a speeding ticket?
- Who has had the most speeding tickets?
- Who has the wildest group of friends?
- Who wears the pants in the relationship?
- Who is most likely to get hangry?
- Who is the most likely to trip and fall?
- Who has the crazier family?
- Who is most likely to get up for a midnight snack?
- Who is more likely to ignore text messages from friends or family?
- Who snores the loudest?
- Who is most likely to fall asleep on the couch while watching the tv?
- Who is the biggest flirt?
- Who talks to themselves the most?
- Who is most likely to sing in the car or shower?
- Who is more grumpy in the morning?
- Who plays on their phone the most?
- Who takes the most selfies?
- Who asks the most questions while watching a movie?
- Who acts like a bigger baby when they are sick?
- Who has smellier feet?
- Who starts the most arguments?
- Who farts the most?
- Who is most likely to run out of gas?
- Who can nap or fall asleep pretty much anywhere?
- Who burps the most?
- Who would last longer on a deserted island without their phone?
- Who is the most stubborn?
- Who gets the last word in when arguing?
- Who is the one to replace the toilet paper roll?
- Who brags the most?
- Who is the bigger party animal?
- Who takes the longest time to get to the point of a story?
- Who likes to gossip the most?
- Who got better grades in school?
- Who will most likely end up with a room full of impulse buys?
- Who made the first move?
- Who is the most likely to come home with a stray cat/dog?
- Who was the biggest nerd in high school?
- Who was the class clown in school?
- Who spends the most time getting ready in the morning?
- Who is most likely to take food off the other person’s plate?
- Who talks with their hands the most?
- Who steals the blankets in the middle of the night?
- Who is the better kisser?
- Who is more likely to get sunburned at the beach?
- Who is better at keeping surprises or secrets?
- Who is the most likely to get lost when traveling?
- Who made the first move?
- Who hogs the bed?
- Who is the worst driver?
- Who is better looking?
- Who has a bigger appetite?
Family Friendly Shoe Game Questions (G-Rated Newlywed Questions)
Choose from this Rated-G list of questions for The Newlywed Game if you are concerned about offending grandma or any other guests at your wedding:
- Who said “I love you” first?
- Who spends more time on social media?
- Who is most likely to binge-watch an entire season of their favorite show in one night?
- Who sleeps in the most on the weekend?
- Who is the first to buy the newest iPhone or tech gadget?
- Who is more competitive?
- Who is the better driver?
- Who picked out the honeymoon location?
- Who is the first to say “I’m sorry”?
- Who needs the most pampering when they are sick?
- Who is the first to cry at a sad movie?
- Who is in charge of the tv remote?
- Who met the in-laws first?
- Who takes longer to get ready in the morning?
- Who makes the most messes in the house?
- Who is the better dancer?
- Who has the cleaner car?
- Who spends the most time looking into the mirror?
- Who chooses the place to eat out most of the time?
- Who is most likely to arrive late?
- Who is the best singer?
- Who was the most nervous on your first date?
- Who is the better cook?
- Who has the bigger wardrobe?
- Who spends the most time on their hair?
- Who would win in a race?
- Who owns the most pairs of shoes?
- Who is better at keeping secrets?
- Who is the funny one?
- Who is the best dresser?
- Who repeats the most movie lines?
- Who is handier around the house?
- Who paid for the first date?
- Who gives the best gifts?
- Who spends more money?
- Who is most into sports?
- Who will most likely max out their credit card when going to the mall?
- Who is the pickier eater?
- Who has the most patience?
You can find even more questions in our He Said, She Said bridal shower game article. Many of the questions would also work for the shoe game.
How To Play The Shoe Game or Newlyweds Game
Playing the shoe game is really easy, and your wedding guests will love it!
Here are the steps:
- The bride and groom sit in chairs back to back in the middle of the dance floor (so they can’t see each other).
- Take off both of your shoes and give one shoe to your new spouse. The bride will have one of her own shoes and one of her partner’s shoes, and the groom will also have one of each (if you don’t want to use shoes, you can use the bouquet and a handkerchief, a champagne bottle/beer bottle, signs that say bride/groom, etc.).
- Your DJ, maid of honor, or best man read a series of questions that either fits the bride or groom better.
- After each question is read, both the bride and groom hold up the shoe that they think fits the right person (Example: If the question is, “Who snores the loudest?”, the bride and groom would each hold up the shoe of the person that they think snore the loudest (either their own shoe, or the shoe of the other person). Sometimes the answers will match, and sometimes they will disagree.
- End the shoe game with a cute question that gets both players to raise both the groom’s shoes and the bride’s shoes (example below).
How do you end the wedding shoe game? Is there a winner?
We recommend ending the shoe game with a cute question that will force both the bride and groom to raise their shoes at the same time.
A couple of good examples are:
- “Who do you love more than anyone in the world?”
- “Who do you want to spend the rest of your life with?”
- “Who is looking forward to the honeymoon?”
A great way to get a big reaction from your guests is to end it with the following question:
“Who is the best kisser?”
Then you both stand up, kiss each other, and raise both shoes. Your family and friends will cheer loudly, and your photographer will get great shots!
Real Couples Give Their Opinion of The Shoe Game
We talked to a bunch of couples and wedding guests who have played or watched the shoe game, and here are a few fun and helpful tips that they offered:
“We loved it, and our guests loved it! My biggest piece of advice is to keep it short and sweet.
I would avoid generic questions like “who has more siblings” or factual things that most people will know. The opinion questions are the funniest.”
“I’ve seen the shoe game played at many weddings lately, and I love it. But Saturday, we went to one where they placed notecards at the tables and had guests write down questions. It was a lot more engaging, and the questions were hilarious! I suggest doing it that way if you want to!”
“Make sure you have someone you trust write out questions in advance (like your maid of honor and best man). I would not let your DJ pick the questions unless you give him a pre-approved list. The DJ does not know you as well as your friends and family know you. I’ve seen people try to wing it, and it’s very awkward”.
“I love watching them as a guest. Just keep the questions short and sweet. It shouldn’t take more than a few minutes (at most).”
“This is the one fun game we played at our wedding, and everyone loved it! The questions I liked most were the ones like “Who is better at this? Who does this more? Who is worse at this?” Those questions were more comical for the guests. We used a wine bottle and a beer instead of shoes.”
“I think the show game is cute! I would take out the factual questions like who has more siblings and make it more fun and opinionated! I would love this as a guest, especially if I don’t know the bride and/or groom very well! It gives me a look into who they are as a couple.”
Wedding Shoe Game F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
Here are our answers to some of the most common questions about the wedding shoe game:
What is the wedding shoe game?
The wedding shoe game is a super fun wedding reception activity that tests the newlywed couple on how well they know their partner.
The couple is asked a series of questions, and they must choose which person the questions apply to the most by raising either the groom’s shoe or the bride’s shoe.
Question: “Who acts like the bigger baby when they are sick?”
If the bride thinks the groom acts like the biggest baby, then she would raise the groom’s shoe. If she thinks she is the biggest baby, she would hold up her own shoe. The groom would do the same.
What is the wedding shoe game called? Is there another name for it?
Other names for The Shoe Game are The Newlywed Game (or Newlyweds Games) and How Well Does The Couple Know Each Other.
What can we play instead of the shoe game?
Many couples choose to play the shoe game in place of activities like the bouquet toss or garter throw. Other couples add it to their list of wedding reception events simply because they love playing games and want to keep their guest entertained on the big day.
If you love the idea of playing fun wedding games but want to do something instead of the shoe game, here are a couple of ideas that we have seen:
- Ask your DJ to set up a trivia game to play with your guests. You can do this with the same questions you were going to ask in the shoe game, or you can pick pop culture questions that are wedding-related (famous couples, wedding traditions, etc.).
- Jumbo yard-style games like cornhole, giant Jenga, jumbo checkers, etc.
- If you don’t want to play the shoe game at your wedding reception, you can also play it at your engagement party, wedding shower, or couple’s shower.
How long does the wedding shoe game last?
The shoe game should only last about 3-5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, your guests will start to get bored.
We have photographed over 50 shoe games (newlywed games), and we have found about 4 minutes to be the sweet spot. Your guests will laugh the entire time, and the game will end before they lose interest.
When should you do the shoe game at a wedding?
Here are the best times for playing the shoe game:
- Towards the end of dinner, while all of your guests are still in their seat
- Right after the cake cutting
- Just before or after the bouquet toss/garter toss
We have seen a few couples try to do the shoe game in the middle of open dancing, and it is not a good option, in our opinion.
Your DJ is going to work really hard to keep your dance floor filled, and if you clear it to play the shoe game, many of your guests will head to the bar, forcing your DJ to start from scratch.
Who reads the questions for the shoe game?
You can have your wedding DJ read the questions or ask your maid of honor or best man to read them (or they can take turns reading them).
It is much more personal if you have your best man and/or maid of honor asking the questions. But if they are not comfortable speaking in front of your wedding guests, your DJ or band leader would be a great option.
Do you have to use shoes to play the game?
No, you do not have to use shoes to play this game. If you are uncomfortable taking off your shoes in front of a crowd or simply don’t like the name “shoe game,” you can use another option.
Here are a few shoe game alternatives we have seen:
- Face cutouts of the couple (The groom would hold the bride’s head, and the bride would hold the groom’s head). This is a great way to personalize the shoe game!
- Signs that say, bride or groom
- Name signs with the first name of each player
How many questions should you ask during the wedding shoe game?
20-30 shoe game questions are what we recommend. This keeps the game to the recommended 3-5 minutes.
How to make the wedding shoe game unique and personal
If possible, try making some of your newlywed (shoe game) questions more personal. This will be a lot more fun for your friends and family.
Here are a couple of ways to make the game more personal to the couple:
- Have your wedding party or a family member come up with the game questions. This is a fun way to include your family and friends in the wedding.
- Instead of saying “who,” use the couple’s first names when asking the shoe game questions.
A Hilarious Video Example of The Wedding Shoe Game
Check out this quick video of a real wedding shoe game being played at a wedding reception:
Wedding Shoe Game Questions (Dirty and Naughty)
If you are offended easily or think your guests would take offense to Newlywed Game questions that are a little more PG-13, you should probably stay away from this list.
Maybe save these questions for the bachelorette party or bridal shower. In other words, know your audience.
- Who is most likely to go skinny dipping?
- Who is most likely to say, “Not tonight, I’ve got a headache”?
- Who is the loudest in the bedroom?
- Who is most likely to talk dirty?
- Who is most likely to request a little role-playing in the bedroom?
- Who is most likely to text “not safe for work” photos to the other person?
- Who is most likely to walk around the house in their birthday suit?
More Wedding Reception Related Articles
- The best wedding reception songs to keep your dance floor packed.
- Wedding songs to use for your wedding party entrance.
- Wedding reception order of events.
- Best songs to use for the last dance song of your wedding reception.
- Perfect love songs to dedicate to the guys.
If you are interested in a downloadable free printable for the wedding shoe game, leave a comment or send us a DM on Instagram. We will put together a free printable and send it to you.